This aerial panoramic photograph of Churchill Downs was taken by James Blakeway from a helicopter during the running of the Kentucky Derby. The Kentucky Derby has run continuously at Churchill Downs since the track’s inaugural race meet on May 17, 1875. A new grandstand was completed in 1895, complimented by the Twin Spires atop the roof. The Twin Spires would become the symbol of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. A 7/8-mile turf track lies inside of a one-mile dirt track. The Kentucky Derby has been referred to as the “greatest two minutes in sports” and was first telecast nationally in 1952.
Weight: 10 lbs.